Here we have a rundown of what went on in both the RAW and Smackdown shows this week for those who missed the airing, there’s plenty of talking points on both shows and lots of feuds brewing ready for the Royal Rumble pay-per-view in two weeks time.
- RAW opened with Intercontinental Champion Roman Reigns beginning to cut a promo before being interrupted by professional small man’s syndrome sufferer Jason Jordan, only for him to be given his marching orders by Seth Rollins for ruining Roman’s moment. Jordan then described the three of them as the most dominant three man team in WWE; something which was then met by Finn Balor’s music theme as he was joined by fellow Club members Gallows and Anderson. Angle set up a six-man tag match for later that night between The Club and Roman, Seth & Jordan.
- There was Womens’ tag team action as Bayley and Sasha Banks faced off against Mandy Rose and Sonya DeVille. Banks locked in the Bank Statement for the victory as the build-up for the inaugral Womens’ Royal Rumble continues.
- Broken Matt Hardy was in action against Curt Hawkins in a generally straightforward squash match with Hardy ending up victorious, only to be interrupted by feuding enemy Bray Wyatt and they engaged in a demonic back-and-forth laugh-off.
- The Miz made a triumphant comeback, cutting out Elias’ song to bring back Miz TV, where his “guests” were Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel, aka the Miztourage. The Miz vowed to win his Intercontinental Title back in a fiery promo, perhaps setting up a rematch with Reigns at the Rumble. A plan which was confirmed by Raw General Manager Kurt Angle along with Rollins and Jordan defending the tag titles against The Bar (Sheamus and Cesaro) at the Rumble.
- Enzo Amore defended his Cruiserweight title against Cedric Alexander but the match went awry after an injury was inflicted on Amore, a suspected broken ankle after he was counted out. He also got busted open by a kick earlier in the match which cut his eye. Nia Jax was watching on backstage, carrying on her proposed love angle with Enzo.
- Sheamus and Cesaro were on the receiving end of a shock defeat at the hands of Titus O’Neil and Apollo Crews, not the kind of momentum they’ll need going into a tag title rematch in a couple of weeks.
- Brock Lesnar made an appearance on Raw alongside Paul Heyman who cut a monster promo in which he described Brock as the most dominant force in WWE history. Once they left the ring all hell broke loose with Kane jumping Lesnar from behind and forcing a backstage brawl between the two. Their other Royal Rumble opponent Braun Strowman then caused havoc by destroying them both and pulling part of the backstage area down onto the pair of them. Brock left the arena in an Ambulance. This triple threat match could cause some serious damage.
- Samoa Joe was in action up against Rhyno and made him tap out to the Coquina Clutch. He did, however, suffer yet another injury but is expected to be ready for the Rumble where he vowed to win and also called out John Cena.
- Asuka came out ready for action but was jumped by Nia Jax, setting up a match between the pair next week on Raw. Could Asuka lose her first match in WWE?
- The Club gained a victory over Reigns, Rollins and Jordan after Jordan distracted the referee by accident and he missed the tag between Reigns and Rollins. Finn Balor connected with a Coup De Grace to get the pinfall victory.
- AJ Styles gave an in-ring interview with Renee Young in which he addressed the decision by Daniel Bryan to make the WWE Championship match a handicap match at Royal Rumble against Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. The pair then came out to interrupt the interview but their excitement was short-lived as Commissioner Shane McMahon set up a 3-on-2 handicap main event which would see Owens and Zayn face Styles, Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura.
- Becky Lynch returned to action after injury to make the leader of the Riott Squad, Ruby Riott, tap out to the Dia-Arm-Her.
- Ascension went up against Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (The Bludgeon Brothers) in tag team action and it was yet another squash in favour of The Bludgeon Brothers who looked as dominant as ever, surely setting up for a tag team title pursuit?
- Mojo Rawley defeated Zack Ryder in the first round of the United States Championship tournament, setting up a match with the Glorious Bobby Roode with a face-off in the ring.
- Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin demanded justice for their mix-up last week in the tag team titles match with The Usos, this was resolved by Daniel Bryan who set up a Royal Rumble title match in a 2 out of 3 falls scenario.
- Rusev and Aiden English weren’t celebrating Rusev Day for long as they suffered a similar fate to that of Sheamus and Cesaro the night before on Raw, losing dramatically to Breezango.
- The main event was wild. Initially Owens and Zayn looked the flee the ring and stop the match there, before Shane McMahon came out and declared the match to have no count-outs. Then, when Owens and Zayn were struggling, KO hit Orton with a steel chair to try and disqualify themselves, not on Shane O’Mac’s watch. He came out again and said the match was no disqualifications, which led to Styles chasing Owens into the backstage area and leaving Zayn alone against Orton and Nakamura who teamed up smoothly to hit Nakamura’s Kinshasa and Orton’s RKO and gain the victory.